Skip to Main Content
10 things to know about the Library
1. Library Website
- Merced Campus
- Monday through Thursday 8-8
- Friday 8-5
- Los Banos Campus
- Monday through Thursday 8-6
- Friday 8-2
- Chat is available 24/7
- The building itself is closed on weekends, holidays, & non-instructional days
3. Printing, Copying & Scanning
- You will be helping with printing and copying a lot.
- Print release stations are on the 1st & 2nd floors.
- Copy machines are in the Copy Room (1st floor) and on the 2nd floor.
- Print costs:
- 40 cents for color (it doesn't matter if it's double-sided; it's still 40 cents per side)
- 10 cents for B&W (it doesn't matter if it's double-sided; it's still 10 cents per side)
- 20 pages free per day at the ASMC Office in the Student Union.
- Print cards are needed for all printing & copying purposes in the Downey Center.
- Purchase print carts at the dispenser on the 1st floor of the Downey Center or pre-loaded cards at the Bookstore in the Student Union.
- Paper $1 bill needed initially (50 cents for card with a 50 cent balance)
- The Service Desk on the 1st floor can break a $5 or provide a paper $1 bill from coins
- Keep loading the same card with paper currency
- Pay with cash, credit, or debit card
- ATM is available outside the Bookstore
- In emergency or stressful situations, send or escort students to the Research Help Desk as we sometimes have print cards with funds we have personally added to cards.
- More detailed information is available at the Printing & Copying FAQ
4. Study Rooms
- Study rooms on either floor of the Downey Center are checked out with MCCD ID for 1 hour
- 1st floor rooms: 6 rooms
- 2nd floor rooms 3 rooms
- More detailed information is available at the Study Rooms FAQ
5. Computers & WiFi
- If you aren't able to help a student log into the computers or connect to WiFI, please refer students to the Technology Support Desk.
- Desktop Computers on the 1st and 2nd floors
- Log in with your MC Portal username (the part before the @ in your campus email) and password.
- If using a personal device, use the mccd-wifi network.
- If using a college laptop, use the mccd-secure network.
- Either network, use your MC Portal username (the part before the @ in your campus email) and password.
6. Citation Guides
- Please see the library faculty for help with any citation style, though the more common are APA 7, Chicago 17, & MLA 9.
- The librarians also have guides, which are mini websites, for the more common styles on the library website.
7. Research Guides
8. Library Tutorials
- You may have taken some of these library tutorials before, but they can be useful to revisit.
- We are working on a big update to these this Spring 2023.
9. Library Staff at the Service Desk (1st & 2nd floor in Merced | Los Banos)
- Check out Course Reserves & books
- Lend computer & phone chargers
- Lend white board markers & erasers
- Locate a faculty librarian if one is temporarily away from the Research Help Desk
- Call a faculty librarian to help students on the 2nd floor
- Make change for print cards
- Discuss your library account
- Help with printing, copy machines, & document scanners
10. Library Faculty at the Research Help Desk & Chat (1st floor in Merced | Los Banos)
- Faculty librarians are usually scheduled at the Research Help Desk.
- Please refer students to a faculty librarian for all research assignments as there is more to research than finding an article in a database.
- We will refer students back to you when it's time.
- Chat is available 24/7.
- During our open hours: usually always answered by a MCCD faculty librarian
- After hours: faculty librarian from another college
- We provide instruction and create instructional materials for in-person and online courses, so please refer other faculty to us.
- We often have emergency print cards or access to one for stressful times.