Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
10 things to know about the Library
1. Library Website
- Merced Campus
- Monday through Thursday 8-8
- Friday 8-5
- Los Banos Campus
- Monday through Thursday 8-6
- Friday 8-2
- Chat is available 24/7
- The building itself is closed on weekends, holidays, & non-instructional days
- More detailed information is available at Hours
3. Printing, Copying & Scanning
- You will be helping with printing and copying a lot.
- Print release stations are on the 1st & 2nd floors.
- Copy machines are in the Copy Room (1st floor) and on the 2nd floor.
- Print costs:
- 40 cents for color (it doesn't matter if it's double-sided; it's still 40 cents per side)
- 10 cents for B&W (it doesn't matter if it's double-sided; it's still 10 cents per side)
- 20 pages free per day at the ASMC Office in the Student Union.
- Print cards are needed for all printing & copying purposes in the Downey Center.
- Purchase print carts at the dispenser on the 1st floor of the Downey Center or pre-loaded cards at the Bookstore in the Student Union.
- Paper $1 bill needed initially (50 cents for card with a 50 cent balance)
- The Service Desk on the 1st floor can break a $5 or provide a paper $1 bill from coins
- Keep loading the same card with paper currency
- Pay with cash, credit, or debit card
- ATM is available outside the Bookstore
- In emergency or stressful situations, send or escort students to the Research Help Desk as we sometimes have print cards with funds we have personally added to cards.
- More detailed information is available at the Printing & Copying FAQ
4. Study Rooms
- 1st floor rooms (6) are first-come, first-served.
- 2nd floor rooms (3) are reserved through OneSearch and checked out through the Services Desk on the 2nd floor.
- They don't have to be reserved but may be checked out if they are available, but we highly recommend reserving them.
- 2-hour increments.
- Can be reserved 7 days in advance.
- More detailed information is available at the Study Rooms FAQ
5. Computers & WiFi
- If you aren't able to help a student log into the computers or connect to WiFI, please refer students to the Technology Support Desk.
- Desktop Computers on the 1st and 2nd floors
- Log in with your MC Portal username (the part before the @ in your campus email) and password.
- If using a personal device, use the mccd-wifi network.
- If using a college laptop, use the mccd-secure network.
- Either network, use your MC Portal username (the part before the @ in your campus email) and password.
6. Citation Guides
- Please see the library faculty for help with any citation style, though the more common are APA 7, Chicago 17, & MLA 9.
- The librarians also have guides, which are mini websites, for the more common styles on the library website.
7. Research Guides
8. Library Tutorials
- You may have taken some of these library tutorials before, but they can be useful to revisit.
- We are working on a big update to these this Spring 2023.
9. Library Staff at the Service Desk (1st & 2nd floor in Merced | Los Banos)
- Check out Course Reserves & books
- Lend computer & phone chargers
- Lend white board markers & erasers
- Locate a faculty librarian if one is temporarily away from the Research Help Desk
- Call a faculty librarian to help students on the 2nd floor
- Make change for print cards
- Discuss your library account
- Help with printing, copy machines, & document scanners
10. Library Faculty at the Research Help Desk & Chat (1st floor in Merced | Los Banos)
- Faculty librarians are usually scheduled at the Research Help Desk.
- We no longer have the part-time librarian support we had before, so we are piloting an on-call service at the Research Help Desk in Merced between 3-5 PM in Spring 2023.
- Please refer students to a faculty librarian for all research assignments as there is more to research than finding an article in a database.
- We will refer students back to you when it's time.
- Chat is available 24/7.
- During our open hours: usually always answered by a MCCD faculty librarian
- After hours: faculty librarian from another college
- We provide instruction and create instructional materials for in-person and online courses, so please refer other faculty to us.
- We will usually do a physical tour for those who ask, though we may call another faculty librarian for back-up.
- We often have emergency print cards or access to one for stressful times.
- We can also help provide directions, find faculty, necessary campus services, etc.