Project 01 Overview
Write a 2-3 page, double-spaced report on a recent (within the past 5 years) advertisement of your choosing.
Make sure to include the following:
- Describe the product being marketed
- What scientific claims the advertisement is making (find one that has at least 2 claims)
- The reliability of each of these claims based on scientific facts
- Your conclusion of whether people should buy this product from your findings
You must use at least two reliable sources. Examples of these are:
- Textbooks or other reference books
- Websites from a researcher or research lab, such as a research professor or NASA
- Scientific journal articles
You may not reference any other website without explicit permission from me (ex: blogs). When in doubt, ask [Professor Huff]!
Part 01: Choose a topic (10 pts)
- Online submission of the ad of your choice and the sources to use to support/refute the claims.
- Must include the following for full credit.
- Advertisement summary of claims (2 pts)
- Advertisement link/source (2 pts)
- Two reliable references you plan to use, with their links/source (3 pts) - ideally one for each claim. Make sure to provide the title for scientific journal articles so that I can search them if the link does not work.
Example submission (you may not use this as your submission - it will result in an automatic zero):
Part 02: Report (40 pts)
- Upload your 2-3 page report. Use 11 pt size with one of the three font types: Arial, Calibri, or Times New Roman.
- Your report will be graded using the following criteria
- Specific advertisement/product summary (5 pts)
- Thorough explanation of two claims in that specific ad/product (5 pts per claim)
- Scientific research agreeing/refuting claims (5 pts per claim)
- Conclusion based on research (5 pts)
- References, correctly done in-text and post-report (5 pts)
- Professionalism, such as formatting, grammar (5 pts)